As many of you know, there is a Global Climate Strike planned for this Friday, September 20th in advance of the United Nations Climate Action Summit on September 23rd. I am writing to let you know first what School of the Future will be doing in the morning as a community (page 1), and then what you need to know about student participation in the city wide strike at Foley Square at 12:00 (page 2).
Please see link below for form and turn this into the box labeled CLIMATE STRIKE in the main office!
- School of the Future Climate Rally at 10:35
Representatives from SoF’s senior class are organizing a school wide walkout and rally around Gramercy Park from 10:35 – 10:55. Families are welcome to join us! Any student who does not wish to participate for any reason can stay in the auditorium with staff members during the walk out. We respect and encourage students’ voices and perspectives on all sides of this issue and hold no judgement regarding students who do not participate on Friday.
Students who participate will leave with their third period class and teacher and return to their third period class. We will take attendance by 11:10 in our 3rd period classes and any missing students will be reported to the administration. Students not participating will stay in the auditorium.
Link to Form: My child WILL NOT participate in the SOF Climate Rally to Gramercy Park at 10:35.
- Friday, September 20th Citywide Climate Strike at Foley Square at 12:00pm
The Department of Education has confirmed that High School students are allowed to attend the Foley Square Rally with valid parent permission. Middle School students are allowed to attend if their guardians pick them up from school and bring them. Students who follow these guidelines in order to legitimately attend the Climate Strike will have an excused absence or partial absence. Please note that School of the Future staff will not be attending this rally as chaperones.
Here are details:
11:25 – HS students check in with 4th period teacher and confirm permission to leave at 11:30. If students have turned in this permission slip ahead of time, they will be on a list. Otherwise, they will show this permission slip at the door. /// MS students can be signed out by their parents or guardians.
12:00 PM – Assemble at Foley Square – 1 Federal Plaza, New York City, NY 10013 (take the 6 train to Brooklyn Bridge City Hall and walk to Foley Square)
1:00 PM – March to Battery Park
2:30 – 5:00 PM – Rally at Battery Park
- Vic Barrett, 20 year-old Juliana vs US plaintiff, climate justice activist
- Greta Thunberg, 16 year-old Swedish climate activist
- Xiuhtezcatl Martinez, 19 year-old Indigenous Climate Activist, Youth Director Earth Guardians; Plaintiff, Juliana vs US
- Julio López Varona, Co-director of Community Dignity Campaigns, Center For Popular Democracy
- Grace Goldstein, 17 year-old youth activist, US Climate Strike
- Rebeca Sabnam, 16 year-old New York & Bangladeshi activist, Youth Advocate for Cafeteria Culture
- Isabella Fallahi and Kevin Patel, Youth activists, Zero Hour
- Artemisa Xakriabá, Indigenous Amazonian youth leader, Guardians of Forest
- Marisol Rivera, 13 year-old Hurricane Sandy survivor, New York Communities for Change
- Varshini Prakash, Executive Director, Sunrise Movement Judy Sheridan Gonzalez, President, New York State Nurses Association
- Ayana Johnson, marine biologist and Founder of Urban Ocean Lab
Link to Form – HS Parents & Guardians – Please sign to give your child permission to leave school at 11:30 to attend the Climate Strike and acknowledge that there will not be staff chaperones.