Dear 7th Grade Families,
Some quick reminders and updates about High School articulation:
- High school directories and specialized high school handbooks will be distributed on June 18th. All 7th graders will be given these materials, and should bring them home and keep them in a safe spot.
- This summer is a perfect time to read up about schools using the directory and the Internet. We recommend using the site InsideSchools.org for objective reviews and parent and student feedback. The NYC DOE homepage can also be a good resource for searching schools and updated information. Follow tabs to Choices & Enrollment, and then click “High School”.
- Book tours early. Tours and open houses will fill up quickly. Start checking school websites and call schools directly starting right when we get back to school in September to sign up.
- Double check your child’s attendance record. All students were given a copy of their RISA, an attendance record that details the number of days your child was marked absent and/or late this year. Please review it for any errors and contact me for instructions to make changes. Any errors must be addressed now, as we are unable to make any changes once the school year is over. Your child’s 7th grade attendance, as well as his or her June report card grades and standardized test scores from this year will all be on his or her application.
- In late September or early October, we will be hosting a High School Night at SOF. In addition to going over important details with filling out the high school application, we will be showcasing SOF High School. You will have an opportunity to talk with Mr. Fanning, the high school director, meet teachers and students, and learn about exhibitions, college acceptances, internships, extra curricular activities, etc.
I look forward to collaborating with you and assisting you in this process next year. Please don’t hesitate to contact me at [email protected] or at 212-475-8086 ext. 5003 if you have any questions or concerns.
Middle School Counselor